If your benefits payments have been delayed because of DWP or local council mistakes, we may be able to help you lodge a complaint with the right authority and/or get payments sped up or reinstated. We have experience dealing with:

  • Delays in payment of ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) following a successful tribunal award
  • Delays in payment of PIP (Personal Independence Payment)
  • Delays in payment of elements of Universal Credit
  • Missed monthly payment deadline from Universal Credit
  • Delays in DWP determining mandatory reconsideration
  • Delays in payment of Housing Benefit
  • Delays in determining suitability reviews

For more information on the complaints process, see our guide to making a complaint.

If you would like help with any of these issues, please email Daniel at [email protected] or call 02072590801.