Support with my benefits

If you are having problems with your benefit claims, we may be able to help

If you are currently claiming a means tested benefit and are experiencing problems such as:

  • incorrect or delayed payments
  • Right to Reside issues
  • problems with the Work Capability Assessment
  • risk of eviction or homelessness
  • difficulty buying food and essentials

our caseworkers may be able to help.

If you have a simple query or require basic help, please contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau, as they will be able to assist you more quickly. We cannot help everyone who contacts us, and for this reason, we prioritise cases where there is a serious risk of homelessness, either because you are in rent arrears and/or because you do not have enough income to buy basic provisions.

Please contact us for more information.

“At least you knew someone was there to help you or guide you through the system. You didn’t know where to go or who to talk to before.” – Client feedback