We are challenging policymakers to make sure Universal Credit enables people to live a life of dignity
We are working with partner organisations, housing providers and decision-makers to lobby for a Universal Credit (UC) system that provides the income and support people need.
- Pause UC which ideally means no more natural migration or managed migration until the system is fit for purpose.
- Ensure transitional protection for every claimant moving from legacy benefits to UC
- 5 week wait: the first payment should go to the claimant straight away not in the form of a loan but as their first payment. When monthly income is worked out, then change payments accordingly and set up repayment plan for claimant to pay back other 2 years.
- By default claimant’s rent money should go straight to their landlord and the claimant can change this at a later date if they choose to.
- All UC claimants to get payed weekly, claimant can then choose at a later date how often they would like to be paid so they can decide how to handle their own money.
- Reinstate implicit consent